Director, HR services
A little about us
Oyster is on a mission to create a more equal world by making it possible for companies everywhere to hire people anywhere.
In 2021, we have grown rapidly, raising over $70 million in both Series A and Series B rounds and increasing our team size by nearly 10x. And we’re just getting started. As a fully distributed startup, we’ve built an incredibly strong leadership team and employee base across 47 countries (and counting!). We embrace asynchronous communication and collaborative work. We live on our platform, and we’re passionate about improving our product every day.
Hiring people internationally is complicated – engineering, legal, finance, operations, and HR processes all interact to make it happen. We’d like to find people who think this is as interesting a challenge as we do.
We're an inclusive and diverse workplace, and welcome applicants from marginalized groups – the world over.
Location: Anywhere in the world
Oyster is growing fast, and we are looking for a Director of HR Services to build, scale and manage a team of HRBPs supporting our customers’ employees around the world.
You will be working on our Global Operations Team, in strong collaboration with HR, Legal and Customer Operations to ensure an excellent experience in every country in which we operate, for all of our customers, whether they’re companies, HR leaders, or individual employees. Please note that this is an externally-facing role, primarily supporting our customers and their teams, though you will also be a resource to our internal HR team. We expect a desire to work cross-functionally to help others, and an openness to ambiguity as we grow this function.
What you'll be doing...
- Process compliance and harmonization
- Ensure our processes are compliant in every country; suggest and execute improvements and changes when needed
- Harmonize Oyster employment policies across countries (when possible), and translate into requirements for our Product teams
- Expertise and knowledge management
- Work closely and cross-functionally with our Customer Ops and Sales teams to answer questions and provide expert support for our Customers and employees
- Provide training to other departments (Customer Ops, Sales, HR) about key aspects of employment in countries that you support
- Research and find out the in-depth answer to specific employment questions in your region, and stay informed when employment practices change
- Ensure that all learnings are documented and FAQ’d (both internally and externally) - and work cross-functionally to ensure that this knowledge is built into the Oyster Platform
- Build and manage a team of globally distributed HRBPs and functional experts on topics like immigration and relocation, employment sponsorship, labor laws, leave management, etc.
- Develop, communicate and execute the vision for the HR Services team
- Set up strategy for the HR service function based on Oyster’s vision and market dynamics
- Manage the local service providers (e.g., visa, benefits)
- Act as the company’s expert and key HR representative in labor and employee relations
- Assist in the management and coordination of communications at the regional level, including HR transformation of processes and operations
What's it like to work at Oyster
Check out our public notion and see for yourself: Welcome to Oyster!
Here are some pages you might be interested in:
Mission, Vision, Values at Oyster
Why Oyster is a Distributed Company
How We Work Together at Oyster
What we're looking for
Skillsets that are important
- 10+ years of experience in multi-country HR and People Operations
- 7+ years of experience in managing international HRBP teams, including full HR cycle (recruitment, onboarding, performance management, termination etc.)
- Extensive experience of employment practices and norms, supporting labor and employee relations in complex environments
- Experience managing HR topics in multiple, diverse lines of business with varying policies and operations while also ensuring global standards and compliance are adhered to
- International, multicultural mindset and approach
- High energy and commitment to both leadership and a hands-on mentality
- Must have strong analytical, strategic thinking and problem solving skills
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and a commitment to collaborate with people.
- Must be comfortable in a rapidly changing work environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills, determination, and tenacity, along with a sense of humor
- Driven by the social impact mission and desire to use skills to influence global change and employment opportunities
Skillsets that are not required (but are a bonus)
- Tech background
- Start-up background
- An affinity and interest in how technology and software can help to automate and scale HR functions
- Experience working in a globally distributed company
- Ability to speak languages other than English fluently
You'll also need...
- A reliable home internet connection (or be able to get one)
- Fluent English language
Benefits & Compensation
Salary & Benefits:
- Competitive compensation package
- Fully flexible hours.
- 40 days including public holidays, or legal minimum in your region if greater.
Home Office Equipment budget (see details at Equipment at Oyster)
Wellness and wellbeing support through PlummHealth and WithJuno
Private Health Insurance (if you want it)
- Time off for volunteering