Fullstack Engineering Manager, Verify
The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
As a Fullstack Engineering Manager working in the Verify stage, you'll manage a team of Frontend and Backend Engineers who develop a number of features and resolve bug on GitLab CI and make improvements to better scale the CI platform.
The culture here at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by the region or country you’re in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don’t count the number of days you take off annually -- instead, we focus on your results. You can work the hours you choose, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. You can also expect stock options and a competitive salary. Our compensation calculator will be shared with selected candidates before any interview.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB) are fundamental to the success of GitLab. We want to infuse DIB in every way possible and in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members around the world feel that their voices are heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their full selves each day and contribute their best. With more than 100,000 organizations using GitLab, our goal is to have a team that is representative of our users.What you'll do in this role
- Manage the Engineers on the Verify Pipeline team (we are still working out the specifics of what this team will cover, but will likely be similar to the Pipeline Execution group)
- Help your engineers grow their skills and experience
- Collaborate with the Product Manager to help inform planning and author project plans for epics
- Work with the other stable counterparts (Product leadership, UX, Quality Engineering) of your team's quad leadership to ensure the team direction is clear and is delivering value aligned with business needs, following our cross-functional prioritization process
- Run agile project management processes. We work iteratively and release monthly.
- Provide guidance and coaching to team members on technical contributions, product architecture, and other areas.
- Maintain empathy for the team by keeping awareness of engineering processes and practices. Examples might be: evaluating individual workflow during one on ones, empowering everyone on your team to contribute ideas to retrospectives and team processes.
- Optionally some managers choose to work on on non-critical path bugs and/or features or conduct code reviews on occasion, however this is not required for the role.
- Actively seek and hire globally-distributed talent
- Conduct managerial / behavioural interviews for candidates, and encourage your team to go through interview training for either technical or behavioural interviews.
- Contribute to the sense of psychological safety on your team
- Generate and implement process improvements. While all ideas are welcome, the Engineering Manager is expected to be the directly responsible individual (DRI) responsible for determining how a team works best together
- Hold regular 1:1s with all members of their team
- Give regular and clear feedback around the individual's performance
- Foster technical decision making on the team, but make final decisions when necessary
- Draft quarterly OKRs and Engineering KPIs
- Improve product quality, security, and performance
- Knowledge of CI/CD. Bonus points if you have hands-on experience with CI systems.
- Experience scaling systems, or have knowledge of performance and reliability challenges at scale
- Experience improving database performance.
- An ability to operate within our view on leadership
- Technical credibility: The team works in Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, VueJS, and with GraphQL. While we don't require previous development experience in these areas, it's helpful to understand how SaaS applications are built, and discuss technical rationale and reasoning with your direct reports.
- Exquisite brokering skills: you'll need to regularly achieve consensus amongst departments
- Demonstrated experience as a People Manager
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
Our hiring process for this Fullstack Engineering Manager position typically follows four stages. The details of this process and our leveling structure can be found on our job family page.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.