Senior Front End Engineer_ Remote
Nava is a public benefit corporation, which means we have a social mission written into our founding charter. The people who work at Nava have a fiduciary duty to our stated mission: to improve access, effectiveness, and simplicity of government services.
As a professional services firm, we achieve our mission by partnering with government clients at the state and federal levels. We bill for our time, selling our expertise and problem-solving methodology to government clients who hire us to help improve their products and services so that their users and beneficiaries have a better experience.
These end-users — the humans who benefit from our work — are at the core of everything we do. They inspire and motivate us. Working with our government clients to align their goals with their beneficiary's needs enables them to better deliver on their mission and provides everyone at Nava opportunities to do meaningful, impactful work.
You will work on small teams to build scalable infrastructure for our government -- designing, implementing, and delivering services that millions of Americans depend on. You care deeply about working on technology that improves people’s lives, but don’t think technology is always the answer. You are passionate about building large-scale systems that are inclusive, well-designed, fast, scalable, and secure, and you'll help set high standards for our teams in terms of simplicity, empathy, and accessibility.
What you'll do
- As part of a newly formed Engineering sub-group, you'll have an opportunity to collaborate with internal engineering, product, and design teams, as well as external clients, including government stakeholders, and other contractors to build new systems and make improvements to existing ones.
- Design and spec out major functionality and flows.
- Participate in planning and breaking down requirements into tasks.
- Review code and give feedback on technical specs.
- Make improvements by proposing new tools and practices.
Required Skills & Experience
- At least 5 years of experience mapping and driving systemic improvements within complex service environments.
- At least 5 years of experience working in an agile, multidisciplinary team environment, preferably designing and building medium to large-scale web applications, with significant amounts done on the Front End to Cloud Platforms (AWS preferred).
- Understanding of web and mobile user interface design best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to design, build, and test semantic, accessible, Section 508 compliant web applications.
- Current and/or prior experience developing systems using Ruby on Rails is highly desirable.
- Having hands-on work experience developing apps in Storybook, Cypress, Drupal, Postgres, and Postman is highly desirable.
- Tenacity to dive into problems and iterate in working code.
- Equal parts systems thinker and advocate for users.
- Highly resourceful, reliable, and detail-oriented.
- Ability to think strategically around trade-offs and short term vs. long term benefits.
- An adaptive, empathetic, collaborative and positive mindset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, technical and otherwise.
● Must have lived in the United States for at least three (3) of the past five (5) years.
● An active green card or citizenship is required.
● Candidates who are offered a job with Nava must possess work authorization which does not require sponsorship by the employer for a visa now or in the future.
● Offer of hire is contingent upon completion of a background check that includes a criminal record history review.
● Applicants selected for this position may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or applicants who are eligible for security clearances.
Perks working with Nava
● Your well-being is important to us, so we offer highly competitive benefits for medical, dental, and vision
● 20 days of PTO accrued, 12 days paid federal holidays, 5 floating holidays, unlimited sick leave
● 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave and weekly meal deliveries during leave
● Sabbatical Leave
● 401k contributions match at 4% of your salary
● Flexible work arrangements
● $1,000 new home office set up budget, monthly phone allowance
● Monthly partial reimbursement for utilities (where applicable)
● $2,000 annual tuition and professional development budget
● Equity stock options
● Employee referral program
● Commuter Benefits
● Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
● Life and Accidental Death
● Diverse, inclusive, highly collaborative, and vibrant culture fostering remote work!
You can work in a hybrid work arrangement from one of Nava’s offices in NYC, DC, or San Francisco. We also have fully remote options if you reside in one of the following states:
Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, DC, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington.
*If you are not living in one of the states listed above, unfortunately, you will not be considered for a position at this time.
Nava PBC equal opportunity employer that is deeply committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, age, gender, religious or political beliefs, national origin or heritage, marital status, disability, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran or any characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. Our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion not only reflects our values as a public benefit corporation but also enriches our ability to do our work. Learn more about where we are today and hope to be by 2025.
Please contact the recruiting team at email@example.com if you would like to request reasonable accommodation during the application or interviewing process.
We participate in E-Verify. Upon hire, we will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. This role is required to work from the contiguous United States.